Candid 1.jpg



Obtaining compensation for Personal Injury has become a complex and highly specialized area of law. The only accurate and reliable way to have your situation assessed is for you to contact an experienced Personal Injury Lawyer. Below we have answered some of the most common questions asked by our clients. For more in depth information, you can make an appointment for a complimentary consultation session with one of our Lawyers, who can answer all your questions.

Do I have the right to choose my own case manager and treatment providers or must I accept those assigned by the insurance company? . . .

You have the right to choose the person who will manage your care, treat your injuries, and direct your rehabilitation. The right lawyer can help you make an informed choice.

How do I complete all the forms? . . .

We advise you not to. The forms should be completed by an accident benefits coordinator. Completion of the forms the correct way requires skill and experience. The omission or incorrect usage of a phrase or a sentence can have long-term detrimental consequences.

We work exclusively on a contingency fee basis. This means you don’t pay until there is a settlement.

How much can I expect to receive for my injuries? . . .

This is a common question that most of our prospective clients ask during their initial consultations. There are several factors to consider, before we can estimate the value of your case. By gaining a better understanding of your injuries, we will be able to determine if there is going to be any future considerations. For instance, an injury that is minor today can become quite serious in the future. As a result, there would be medical bills, lost opportunities and lost wages (past & future) to consider, all of which would factor into determining the true value of your case. We can discuss your situation at length during your initial consultation.

How much time do I have to start my case? . . .

These are some of the time limits you should keep in mind: We have 7 days to inform the Benefits insurance company of the accident and that you were hurt. We have 30 days to complete and send the Accident Benefits application. If you take longer, the insurance company can delay your benefits 45 days and may be able to deny you benefits altogether. We have 120 days to give written notice of your intention to sue the at-fault parties. We have 2 years to commence a lawsuit against an at-fault driver or your own insurance company if your benefits are denied. We have to provide the insurance company all the information it needs to determine your entitlement. You have 10 business days after it requests such information to provide it, or it can suspend or deny your benefits.

Should I talk to the insurance company before I have consulted with a lawyer? . . .

No. All discussions with any insurance company should take place after you have been advised of your rights and consulted with a lawyer. Insurance companies fully understand if you provide your lawyer’s name and telephone number, and request that all initial discussions be with your lawyer.

What benefits am I entitled to if I was not working? . . .

If you were the primary caregiver for someone in your home before the accident and you are not able to continue providing care after the accident, you may be entitled to receive caregiver benefits of up to $250.00 per week. You may be entitled to an additional $50.00 per week for every other person you were taking care of before the accident. Even if you were not the primary caregiver for someone in your home, you may be entitled to non-earner benefits of $185.00 per week, beginning six months after the accident, if you are completely unable to carry on a normal life. You must be at least 16-years-old to receive non-earner benefits.

What happens when I’m discharged from the hospital? . . .

Accident benefits can pay for a wide variety of items and services that an injured person requires. It is important that your lawyer provides you with the right occupational therapist or case manager.

What if a dog bites me? . . .

According to the Dog Owners’ Liability Act.: “The owner of a dog is liable for damages resulting from a bite or attack by the dog on another person or domestic animal”. View the Dog Owner's Liability Act here.

What if I am a pedestrian or cyclist and don’t have insurance? . . .

You are still entitled to receive benefits from the accident benefit insurance company or the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund. In addition, you can start a lawsuit against the at-fault driver.

What if I am a student and can’t return to school? . . .

If you cannot return to school, you are eligible for lost educational expenses incurred before the accident for tuition, books, equipment, or room and board. The expense cannot exceed $15,000.00.

What if I am unable to go back to work? . . .

You are entitled to income replacement benefits through the accident benefit provider. They will pay up to 80% of your net loss to a maximum of $400.00 a week. You may be entitled to further benefits if you have a privately held or group insurance policy. Ask the lawyer about all your options.

What if I don’t have my own car insurance? . . .

There are many different avenues to take if you are not currently insured. Your accident benefit claim may proceed through the at fault driver or alternatively through the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund. Ask the lawyer which avenue applies to you.

What if I was involved in a car accident which was not my fault but I do not have any insurance; do I still have case? . . .

Yes, so long as the party at-fault has insurance. His or her insurance company will pay for the damage to your vehicle and for your pain and suffering. As mentioned in the answer to question number 2, your medical bills will be paid at the conclusion of your case from the settlement proceeds.

What if I’m injured on someone else’s property? . . .

Those injured by a negligent owner or possessor of a premise may recover damages for their injuries, including, loss of income, medical expenses, pain and suffering, etc. If you have been injured on someone else’s property, contact us immediately so that we can begin assessing your case. Also, please note that you should not give an interview to insurance adjusters or investigators hired by insurance companies until you have consulted with lawyer first. As such, it is imperative to seek legal advice as soon as possible.

What if my injuries prevent me from working? . . .

You can receive income replacement benefits through your accident benefit insurance company. An income replacement benefit will pay 70% of your gross loss of income up to a maximum of $400.00 per week. You may also be entitled to receive short-term disability benefits and/or long-term disability benefits through either a privately held insurance policy or a group policy of insurance purchased by your employer. Lastly, you may apply to Canada Pension Plan for a disability pension in certain circumstances. In addition to these benefits, you are entitled to claim for remaining loss of income in your lawsuit.

What if the accident was my fault? . . .

If the accident was your fault you are still entitled to accident benefits. Speak to the lawyer about your rights to accident benefits under your insurance policy.

Who will pay for my medical bills? . . .

Any and all reasonable and necessary medical and rehabilitation benefits incurred should be paid by the insurance company. The amount of benefits will depend on the nature of the injury and whether or not you have suffered a “catastrophic impairment”. If the person is not catastrophic, you are entitled to a maximum of $100,000.00 in medical and rehabilitation expenses. Please ask the lawyer under which category your injury falls.

Why should I choose Guzzo Bianchi Leung Viskovic LLP? . . .

At GBLV LLP, your recovery is our first priority. We understand all the challenges you face after been injured, we understand that you might not be able to go back to work for while and therefore, you are entitled to compensation. Our goal is to assist you and guide you through the whole process, providing you with the support of an expert law firm that cares for its clients.



We are excited about your interest in joining our firm. Every member of GBLV LLP is treated with respect. From the most senior partner to the newest member of our support team, each individual plays an important role in the success of our firm. 

Associate Lawyers, Paralegals, Clerks and Administrative staff at GBLV LLP, have the opportunity to develop their skills in a cordial and peaceful work environment. We are keenly aware that our people is the firm’s most important asset. In addition to offering challenging, rewarding and interesting work, we provide competitive compensation, excellent benefits and foster a culture of learning. We focus on the growth and success of our staff and firm. We are also committed to providing a work environment that encourages a work-life balance. With this in mind, we offer our staff a free gym membership and engage in various social outings as a firm.  

We encourage those interested in joining our firm to submit their resume via email to Any information forwarded to us will be held in the strictest of confidence.


 AODA Policy


The Policy applies to all persons who, on behalf of GBLV LLP, deal with members of the public or other third parties. This includes our employees, clients and contractors.

The Policy also applies to all persons responsible for the development, implementation or oversight of the Firm’s policies, practices and procedures.


The goal of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (the “Act”) is to create a more accessible Ontario, by identifying, preventing, and eliminating barriers experienced by persons with a disability.

The Accessibility Standards for Customer Service (“the Standard”) has been established under the Act to ensure goods and services are, where possible, equally accessible to every member of the public.

We at the Firm strive to provide an accessible customer service experience. The objective of this policy (the “Policy”) is to ensure we meet the requirements of the Standard and promote its underlying core principles as described below.


Accessibility Report – The report required to be filed pursuant to section 14 of the Act.

Assistive Device – Any device used to assist a person in performing a particular task or tasks or to aid that person in activities of daily living.

Disability – Has the same definition as is provided under the Act and the Ontario Human Rights CodeR.S.O. 1990, c. H.19.

Guide Dog – A guide dog as defined in section 1 of the Blind Persons’ Rights Act is a dog trained as a guide for a person who is blind and having qualifications prescribed by the regulations under the Blind Persons’ Rights Act.

Service Animal – An animal is a service animal for a person with a disability:

  1. a) If it is readily apparent that the animal is used by the person for reasons relating to his or her disability; or

  2. b) If the person provides a letter from a physician or nurse confirming that the person requires the animal for reasons relating to the disability.

Support Person – A person who accompanies a person with a disability to assist with communication, mobility, personal care or medical needs or with access to goods or services.

We”, “Our” and “Staff” means GBLV LLP, and its employees, clients and contractors.

We endeavor to ensure that the Policy and related practices, policies and procedures are consistent with the following four (4) core principles: Dignity, Equality of Opportunity, Integration, and Independence.

The Firm has Liliana Hargreaves responsible for:

1) Developing and implementing policies, practices and procedures aimed at providing accessible goods and services to persons with a disability;

2) Developing and implementing an accessibility training program as required by the Standard;

3) Developing and implementing a feedback procedure as required by the Standard; and

4) Filing Accessibility Reports as required under section 14 of the Act.

Policies, Practices and Procedures

The Firm shall make all reasonable efforts to ensure that its policies, practices and procedures which impact the delivery of its goods and services to the public or to other third parties are consistent with the principles of dignity, equality of opportunity, integration and independence.


The Firm strives to communicate with persons with a disability in a manner that takes into account the disability. Approaches for communication are set out in our accessibility training program.

Accessibility at Our Premises

We offer the following facilities and services at the Firm to which the Policy applies to enable persons with a disability to obtain, use or benefit from our goods and services:

1) Designated person (Liliana Hargreaves) to help those in need of assistance; and

2) Chairs in main reception for waiting if a person’s disability prevents him or her from standing for lengthy periods.

Service Animals

Persons with a disability may enter premises owned and/or operated by GBLV LLP, accompanied by a Guide Dog or Service Animal, and keep the Guide Dog or Service Animal with them, if the public has access to such premises and the Guide Dog or Service Animal is not otherwise excluded by law.

Support Persons

A person with a disability may enter premises owned and/or operated by GBLV LLP, with a Support Person and have access to the Support Person while on the premises.

Notice of Temporary Disruption

In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for clients with disabilities at 2600 Skymark Avenue, Building 1, Suite 102, Mississauga, Ontario, the Firm will notify clients promptly. This clearly posted notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available.

Training and Records

Training will be provided to all persons whom this policy applies as soon as practicable after he or she is assigned duties. The training will include:

A video and test on AODA that covers topics such as how to interact and communicate equipment and devices, how to assist and more. The completion of this training will be tracked in employees’ folders with a screen shot. A policy acknowledgment of understanding will be tracked in employees’ folders.

Feedback Procedure

Receiving Feedback

The Firm welcomes and appreciates feedback regarding this Policy and its implementation. Feedback can be provided in the following ways:

1) By telephone at (905) 232-9222 ext. 333;

2) In writing to 2600 Skymark Avenue, Building 1, Suite 102, Mississauga, Ontario, L4W 5B2; and

3) Electronically to

Responding to Feedback

Where possible, we will respond to complaints within five (5) business days of the date that the complaint is received.

In certain circumstances we may be required to take more action to effectively address the complaint. In such circumstances we will respond to the complaint as soon as is practicable.

Documentation to Be Made Available

This Policy, and related practices and protocols, shall be made available to any member of the public upon request.

Format of Documents

The Firm will provide documents, or the information contained in documents, required to be provided under the Standard, to a person with a disability in a format that takes the person’s disability into account.

Questions about This Policy

For more information about the Policy or for questions regarding the Firm’s policies, practices and procedures for accessible customer service please contact:

Liliana Hargreaves, Office Manager

(905) 232-9222 ext. 333

Our approach is different. You are more than a case to us, we care. With empathy and compassion, we are dedicated to using our strengths to finding the best legal outcome for each individual client.